Ahead of this September's Food Contact Asia 2023, we spoke with Wen-Gie Siew, Regional PSRA Director - Asia Pacific at Henkel, to get a sneak peek of what we can expect from his presentation on 'Safe & compliance adhesive for sustainable food packaging'. Here's what he had to say...
Your presentation at this year’s Food contact Asia will cover safe & compliance adhesive for sustainable food packaging. Why is it important for others in the industry to hear this message?
Safe and compliant adhesives for sustainable food packaging extends beyond individual companies to impact consumers, the environment, industry reputation, and global trade. It is a foundational element for creating packaging solutions that prioritize safety, sustainability, and regulatory compliance.
What are some of the key take-aways of your presentation?
The significance of consumer safety by using adhesives that do not introduce harmful substances into the packaged food. Communicate how compliance with safety standards as well as sustainability food packaging aligns with consumer expectations. While on the same time, explore how understanding and adapting safe and compliant adhesives can drive innovation in sustainable food packaging solutions, which has opened up new opportunities and markets for the industry.
What are the main challenges in your day-to-day work relating to Food Contact Materials?
Adhesives used in food packaging are often called “the forgotten layer” as they have been perceived as a relatively small piece in the total packaging compared to inks, boards and foils that have been more under the public eye for meeting safety standards in food packaging. The main challenge for Henkel is how to ensure food safe compliance in different markets or even global market while there are many different and not harmonized regulatory requirements for such materials globally, and hence part and parcel of ensuring food safe packaging.
What are some of the biggest opportunities gaining attention within the food contact materials and/or packaging industry?
What do you think will be some of the most interesting advancements in food contact materials in the near future?
- Regulatory Compliance and Safety – Stringent Compliance Standards allowing all manufacturers to compete on a level playing filed, adhering to ethical and legal standards.
- Sustainable Packaging Solutions and Circular Economy Initiatives – Opened up the new opportunities and markets for the industry to innovate in Biodegradable materials, Bio-based plastics, as well as Circular Economy Initiatives, like Recyclability and Recycled Content.
Which presentation(s) are you most looking forward to hearing about at Food Contact Asia?
- Continuously stringent safety & regulatory compliance requirements, especially related to harmful chemicals, e.g. Mineral Oils, PAA, BPAs, PFAS…etc.
- Sustainable Packaging and Circular Economy Initiatives and challenges for Food Packaging industries;
- Innovation in Smart Packaging Technologies and E-Commerce Packaging Solutions – Addressing the surge in online shopping with sustainable and efficient packaging solutions that can interact with the product or the environment, providing features such as freshness indicators, temperature monitoring, and QR codes for traceability.
Innovative Safe and Compliance Sustainable Food Packaging Solutions.